Friday, July 27, 2012

To the Man Responsible for Me Living

On this day in 1921, Dr. Frederick Banting along with colleagues at the University of Toronto successfully isolated insulin from a Pancreas of a dog. He would then use this insulin a year later to treat a 14 year-old boy who had Diabetes. The rest is history.


Thank you Dr. Banting, for giving me and anyone else with Diabetes a chance to live out our lives to the fullest. I, along with others probably, are truly grateful for this discovery in medicine.

2 comments:

  1. What about Dr. Charles Best?

    haha...I'm glad for Dr. Banting and Dr. Best. Had it not been for them, some family members and my best buddy (you) wouldn't be there.

    Sidebar : almost sounded kinda pessimistic when I saw "To the Man Responsible for Me Living". Sorry..I've been in corporate for too long..so responsibility almost always is a negative thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charles Best was also important in the discovery as well. So was J.J. R Macleod and James Collip. I'd like to think though that Dr. Banting started the whole process. Thats why I said "Dr. Banting along with colleagues".

    But yes, truly a life-changing discovery.

    ReplyDelete